Take your fat loss workout game up a level with these secrets. I’ll be honest, your PT is going to be very, very pissed off when they see I’ve posted these.
Talking from a coaches point of view an effective fat loss workout should, in a nutshell, do three things – Maximise calorie output, promote lean body mass maintenance and be enjoyable.
With the above points taken into consideration, here’s some tips and tricks you can utilise during your sessions to really create an ultimate fat loss session.
1. Use upper/lower supersets – Combining two movements, one for lower body, one for upper body is a good idea to help burn more calories. For example a dumbbell chest press supersetted up with walking lunges. By doing this you constantly challenge the heart and lungs to pump blood around the body, giving more of a cardio effect from your session, resulting in more calories burned.
2. Time your rest periods – Keep rest periods relatively short and quick for fat loss. 30-60 seconds is good. This keeps your heart rate elevated, again maximising total calories burnt. Keep focused during your sessions and don’t get distracted by your friends chat or the new blonde treadmill bunny that’s just joined your club.
3. Pair a standing exercise with a lying exercise – Strategies like this can turn a good workout into a great one. For example a goblet squat followed by a dumbbell floor press. By constantly getting up and down each time you alternate between the exercises, you’ll again end up burning more calories. Now that’s smart programming.
4. Focus 90% of work on compound movements – Ok it’s not really a secret, but sometimes we need reminding how important this is. Compound movements such as squats, deadlifts, rows and presses all recruit more muscle fibres and burn more calories.
5. Rest standing, not sitting – Standing can burn up to an additional 50 calories per hour versus sitting. Not that you’ll be resting for an hour in your workout, but think of how this effect could accumulate over the weeks, months and year.